This guide describes how to set up a Facebook personal app that you can connect to Supermetrics. Apps like these help resolve errors that can result from large or complex queries, including job failed or invalid Facebook response.
About Facebook personal apps
A Facebook app that you ask us to connect to your Supermetrics account provides your data with its own connection to the Facebook Ads API. This means that you're not sharing the quota used by other Supermetrics users who are also pulling data from Facebook Ads.
Nothing will change in how you query Facebook Ads with Supermetrics. The only difference is that you'll no longer see quota-related errors like job failed or invalid Facebook response.
If one app is connected to multiple Pages, there won’t be any shared access or data between these Pages. This means you can create one personal app and use it with multiple teams and Pages safely.
Before you begin
To create or use a personal app, you need a Facebook developer account. Log in to the Facebook developer site with the Facebook user you use with Business Manager to get started.
Each Facebook account that needs access to the personal app must be a developer account, and they must all be assigned to the app by its creator. Every member of a Supermetrics team can use the same personal app — each user doesn't need an app of their own. If you have several users in your team, create one personal app and assign all of them to it.
Follow the steps in the "Add users to a personal app" section below to add users.
During setup, Facebook will show a warning that reads "Submit for Login Review". To keep the setup process moving as quickly as possible, we advise against submitting the permissions for review. There's no way to estimate how long Facebook's review will take if you do choose to submit for review. Learn more about our data privacy policies.
- Log in to Business Manager.
- Click the gear icon in the lower-left corner.
- In the left-side menu, under "Accounts", select Apps.
- Click Add, and then Create a new app ID.
- If prompted, select Manage integrations for your business, and click Next.
- On the "Select an app type" screen, choose Business. Click Next.
- Fill in a Display name and App contact email.
- Click Create app.
- Navigate to the Facebook Login card. On this card, click Set up.
- Under the Facebook Login dropdown menu on the left side of the screen, select Settings.
In the Valid OAuth Redirect URIs field, enter: https://supermetrics.com/login-complete
Click Save changes.
- Click Dashboard in the left-side menu.
- Navigate to the Marketing API card. On this card, click Set up.
- Under the Dashboard dropdown in the left-side menu, click Settings.
- Select Basic.
- Copy the App ID and App Secret. Send them to us in a new support ticket, or reply to the original thread we contacted you through.
After our support team adds your credentials to your team, each user assigned to the app will need to reauthenticate their connection to Facebook Ads to start using it. Any users whose accounts aren't reauthenticated will continue to experience their original quota limitations.
If you need to access your App ID and App Secret after you've created your app, follow steps 1-3 from the instructions above. Then, click Open in App Dashboard in the top right corner. Next, in the left-hand menu, click Settings → Basic. You'll see both your ID and secret.
One personal app is enough for your whole Supermetrics team. If you have several users in your team, create one personal app and assign all of them to it.
Remember that an account must be converted to a developer account before it can use a personal app.
- Log in to Business Manager.
- In the left-side menu, click Ads Manager.
- If prompted, click Go to business settings.
- In the left-side menu, click Users, and then People.
- Select the account you’d like to add to the app.
- Click Add assets.
- Select Apps.
- Add your personal app, and click Save changes.
Custom conversions and custom actions might not be recognized right after you implement this solution. Errors like "error":"(#100) c_action_######... are not valid for fields param. can occur.
Solve this error by reauthenticating one more time (note that it can take a few hours after reauthentication for the error to disappear). Learn how to reauthenticate Facebook Ads in Supermetrics.
If you encounter an error beginning with Feature unavailable, it often means that the account trying to log in hasn’t been added to the app.
Follow the steps in the "Add users to a personal app" section above to resolve this issue.