Supermetrics custom fields let you transform the data you use in your reporting. How the data is transformed is up to you — once you've created a custom field, it's saved and ready for use whenever you need it.
As the name suggests, custom fields are entirely customizable, and offer opportunities for deep analysis and modification. If there's a field missing from a data source, for example, you can create a custom field that provides the data. Any bulk changes, like corrections or formatting adjustments, can be carried out quickly and efficiently. By understanding and manipulating metrics and dimensions with custom fields, you can tailor your strategies to meet your audience's needs better and optimize your campaigns for higher performance.
Use cases for custom fields
Understanding custom fields starts by figuring out what you want your data to give you. Take a look at our article about metrics and dimensions to learn more about use cases for both.
Custom fields enable you to apply transformations to metrics and dimensions to gain meaningful insights into your data:
- Create new metrics or dimensions: Go beyond the standard metrics and dimensions provided by the platform to create custom ones tailored to your unique business needs.
- Manipulate data: Use various calculations on your data, filter and modify text fields, or even modify date formats directly on your data.
- Convert currencies: If you work with different currencies, you can use a custom field to align your reporting to use the same currency.
- Enrich data: Enhance the existing data with more context or new insights by using lookups to map codes to full names or categories, and conditions to categorize or flag data based on certain criteria.
- Clean-up data: Handle missing or incorrect data values in your campaigns, ensuring clean, high-quality data for analysis.
Custom fields help you unlock the true potential of your data. By transforming raw data into actionable information, you can make more informed decisions and achieve better results.
What are custom fields made of?
Custom fields are used to query either metrics or dimensions, with functions, lookups, and conditions to narrow the data down. Every time you create a custom field, you build a ruleset that defines that field using these 3 elements.
- Functions allow you to transform one field or column with a custom rule. Learn how to use functions in your custom fields.
- A lookup allows you to match values across different tables before you transform them. Learn how to use lookups in your custom fields.
- A condition allows you to define data that you want to transform, and then apply a function or transformation to only that data. Learn how to use conditions in your custom fields.
- You can also add multiple transformations in one custom field to get down to the finest details.
You can create your custom fields on the Supermetrics Hub. On the Hub, select Transform → Custom fields from the left sidebar.
Once you've created your custom fields, learn how to use them in your reports.