Before you can start requesting data from Criteo with Supermetrics, there's a couple of steps you need to take to get the right credentials to access their REST API.
IMPORTANT - Please note that these steps have been updated on March 24th, 2021 to use their newer API, the older instructions/Keys for MAPI no longer work. If you encounter issues with your previously valid API key, such as authentication errors or permissions errors for certain data, please follow these instructions to create a new app and API key.
In short, you will need to create an App with Criteo to obtain your Client ID and Client Secret. Then generate consent URLs for your advertisers to approve access to the App. And finally, use those details to log in to the Supermetrics Criteo data source.
- Creating Your Criteo App and API Keys
- Generating Consent Links for Advertisers
- Logging into Supermetrics
Creating Your Criteo App and API Keys
- Go to https://account.criteo.com/ and log into your account.
- Click the Developer Portal card in the bottom right corner.
- In the top-right, click the Create a new app button.
- This will take you to the page to set up an app project necessary for API access.
- Give your app a meaning Name and Description.
- Click Create App to proceed.
- You will then be redirected to the configuration page for your app.
- Scroll down to the "Service" section. Make sure that "Marketing solutions" is selected and click Save.
- Then scroll down to the "Authorization section". Set every option to at least "Read". This is the minimum required access Supermetrics will need to get the data, and failure to give all at least read-access could cause queries to fail. Click Save.
- Scroll back up to the "App credentials" section. Click Create new key.
This will generate a new text file that the browser will download. Please open this to get your client_id and client_secret values that will be required to log into Supermetrics Criteo data source.Store these carefully as they will be required to get access to the API.
Important - These are like your username and password to Criteo, guard them as you would any login credentials!
- Finally, scroll back up to the top of the page and click Activate app.
- It will have a confirmation pop-up. Click Activate to confirm and finish the app setup process.
- Next you will need to generate consent URLs so those advertisers you will be reporting on will have approved access. Proceed to the Generating Consent Links for Advertisers section below.
If you need additional information about setting up an app in Criteo, please see their official documentation.
Generating Consent Links for Advertisers
- If not there already, go to https://account.criteo.com/ and log into your account. Go to the developer portal.
- Click on the app created in the previous steps to open the "Application details".
- In the top-right corner you should now see the button to Generate new URL.
- If you do not see this, or the button is greyed out, not all of the app setups steps were completed. Review the steps in the Creating Your Criteo App and API Keys section above to make sure all was completed.
- Click the Generate new URL button. This will generate a single-use consent URL for your advertiser to approve.
- Please copy and send that URL to the person who manages the Advertiser you wish to report on. They will need to click on that link and follow the instructions. Note that:
- The URL is single-use. It will expire once clicked.
- If you manage multiple Advertisers, you will need to generate a separate consent URL for each to complete.
- The Advertiser will get the option to decide which portfolios they want to expose to your app as part of the consent process. If they don't add specific accounts, Supermetrics will not be able to report on them.
- If the Advertiser does not complete the consent form, Supermetrics will not be able to report on their data.
- Once the Advertiser(s) have completed the consent form from the URL, you should now be ready to log into the Supermetrics Criteo data source!
For more information about the Consent URL process, please see the official Criteo documentation.
Logging into Supermetrics
- If you had been using Criteo prior to March 24th, 2021, you will want to first delete your existing logins before proceeding as the old MAPI API keys can sometimes cause issues with the login. If you have never used Criteo before, you can skip to step 2
- Go to your Supermetrics product that supports Criteo and select the data source from the options.
- A window should appear asking for the Criteo Client ID and Criteo Client secret. Fill in those values based on the text file obtained in the Creating Your Criteo App and API Keys section above.
Click START to begin authentication. If it was successful, it will either give a confirmation or redirect back to the product.
You should now be able to select your advertiser account and continue crafting a query.