Someone’s level of access in your Data Studio report determines some of the actions they can carry out under your Supermetrics license. It’s important to carefully consider these roles when deciding what levels of access will be the best fit for your users.
Data Studio user roles and permissions
Data Studio has 3 main user roles: Owner, Editor, and Viewer. Any user can have any of these roles with or without a Supermetrics license.
This means, for example, that someone with Viewer access doesn’t need a Supermetrics license to see your report, and someone with Editor access doesn’t need a license to make changes to a report once the data has been imported.
However, the person who creates the data source file needs Owner access and to be connected to a Supermetrics license, as they’re responsible for establishing the connection to Supermetrics. Anyone with Editor access who wants to import new data or set up a new data source needs a Supermetrics license, too.
Data source accounts
These permissions don’t have any impact on the data source account you use to access your data in Data Studio. Data source accounts don’t need Data Studio user permissions, and they don’t need to be directly assigned to a Supermetrics license (though each one will use up one of the license’s data source account quota).
People with Viewer or Editor access to the Data Studio file will see the data through the data source account you use to log in to the data source. Editors will be able to adjust how this data appears in the reports they have Editor access to.
If you want to have everyone who accesses your report log in to its data sources with their own accounts, follow these steps.
- Click on any report element to open Supermetrics.
- Click the Edit icon next to the data source’s name in the left-hand pane to open the configuration page.
- Click Edit connection.
- In the configuration page’s top bar, navigate to the Data credentials button.
- Click Data credentials.
- Choose if you want Viewers and Editors to use the report Owner’s credentials to log in to access data sources in the report, or if you want them to log in individually.
- Click Update to save your choice.