To connect Supermetrics to Facebook Audience Network, you’ll need to create an app, set up a system user account, and generate a user access token. These tokens are like user credentials — once you’ve generated them, protect them like you would a password.
The instructions below will guide you through the full process to get the user tokens needed to connect.
Before you begin
To connect Supermetrics to Facebook Audience Network, you’ll need:
- A valid Facebook user account with Admin privileges in Facebook Business Manager
- A valid Facebook Business Manager account that’s connected to an Audience Network property
Step 1: Set up an app
To get started, you need a basic app that you can use in development mode.
- Log in to Facebook for Developers with your Facebook user account.
- Click Add a new app.
- Add a meaningful name for your app.
- Click Create App ID. This will open the app’s dashboard.
- Navigate to the app’s ID, found at the top of the page. Copy it.
- Log in to Business Manager with the properties you want to pull data from with Supermetrics.
- Follow Facebook’s documentation to connect your new app to Business Manager.
Step 2: Create a system user and access token
- Open Business Manager’s Settings page.
- Follow Facebook’s documentation to set up and configure a System User.
- When you add the ‘read_audience_network_insights’ scope, also add ‘business_management’ scope.
- Copy the access key that Business Manager displays after you click Generate token.
Protect the access key
Access tokens are like user credentials — once you’ve generated them, protect them like you would a password.
Step 3: Connect Supermetrics to Facebook Audience Network
Make sure you’ve followed the steps above before following these instructions — you need the access key for the System User linked to your properties before you can proceed.
- Open Supermetrics and find the Facebook Audience Network data source.
- Fill in the Business ID and System User token you created earlier.
- Click START.